Monday, June 18, 2012

bye Nashville, hello California

Goodbye Nashville, I hope to see you again.
I had a great time there and can't wait to come back again in the near future. Yesterday, no wait, the day before we left Nashville for Las Vegas and then to Burbank, California. The past 10 days in Nashville, I was looking for a place that sold stationary stuff because I wanted to draw. We walked past two bookshops and to our surprise, they only sold books. In Malaysia, when the sign says 'bookshop' it sells  maybe 80 percent stationary and 20 percent books. Sometimes I see them sell chocolates, toys and all sorts of other stuff before I find the books. Over here, a bookshop only sold books. I couldn't find any sketchbook at all. On the last day at the airport, we finally found something remotely close to a sketchbook: notebook with yellow pages and blue lines. Good enough, it was better than nothing. I started drawing right away.
During the CMA Fest, I was looking for a place that sold sharpie markers because I wanted to ask some of the country artist to sign my guitar. Couldn't find any. Then, out of the blue someone ran across the sidewalk and dropped her sharpie marker. She was one of the volunteers probably rushing somewhere. I picked it up wanting to give it back to her but couldn't find her anywhere. So I got a pen! I was right at the end of the Hunter Hayes meet and greet line and he didn't have enough time to sign for us at the back. Another thing that is really different is that here, when the sign says 'meet and greet' they also actually mean 'meet and greet'.
I've been to many in Malaysia. MariƩ Digby, Lee Dewyze, Yuna, Greyson Chance and Joe Brooks and not once did I see the artist and people managing the crowd so nice. Hunter Hayes took pictures, got to talk to each person and sign a stuff for every single person he had time for. I noticed all of them do that and I guess thats where the name meet and greet came from. The people managing the queue ask politely for you to move and let us know that there would be a slim chance for the people at the back to actually meet him. I got so used to those people shoving us into lines and pushing, and then we only get a few seconds with the artist. They should call it 'sign and go'. Yuna was the only exception in Malaysia I think. That was actually very pleasant.
From Nashville, we went on a plane to Las Vegas. Looking out the window I saw a lot of desert and hills it was really beautiful. There was a giant lake or river and all the buildings. We too lots of pictures but I can't upload them now because we're in another airport (8th airport this trip) and my camera cable had been checked in. When we got to the vegas airport, there were slot machines everywhere. Literally everywhere, even in front of the toilets. They also sold iPods and Beats by Dr. Dre headphones from a vending machine. There were people everywhere that there were no seats left so most of the passengers sat on the floor. We found a place to eat after walking around. I had a pretzel and papa had a giant slice of pizza. Huge could be an understatement. Then we went to the platform (is that what its called?) to queue for out flight to Burbank. Only it was the wrong platform. So we walked to the other end where they changed the boarding place to and made it just in time. It was an incredibly short flight. Someone came to pick us up and brought us to the university of the west, where we were going to stay. It was a nice place and we got a room each. I decided to stay on the couch with my dad. The trees I learnt were called Cypress grew really tall and the view was amazing. The internet was not accessible so we had a break from facebook, blogger, tumblr and whatever else for a day but I didn't really miss it much. yet. The next day, (um I can't remember his name) brought us for breakfast at the restaurant nearby and they had awesome food. I ordered waffles and hot chocolate. One tip, if you were to come to america is don't ever order hot chocolate. When I ordered it, I imagined it like Milo. But it is really creamy and filled to the top with whipped cream. It was also very, very sweet. I can't be ordering milo kosong here. The other day, the same thing happened to me when I ordered frozen hot chocolate in Nashville. The cup was more like a bowl. A little bigger and it could qualify as a pot. Like the hot chocolate here, it was sweet, creamy and filled with whipped cream. They gave me so much I couldn't finnish half of it with the help of my dad even after I poured it into a cup and sipped it along the way.
The waffles thank goodness were the same size as the ones in Malaysia. Maybe they use the same machine... It was sooo good. It came with a scoop of what I thought was ice-cream. But it was a scoop of butter. It tasted so nice but I couldn't finnish it either. Am I talking too much about food? After that we went to a temple. A chinese temple where my dad had meetings to attend. We took the car, just like how we took a car to the breakfast place. We walked so little here compared to Nashville. We met a few nuns and they talked with my dad for a long time. More people came in and joined the meeting and then we went for lunch with more people joining us. We had chinese food. Papa must've been so happy. It was really good too. Then a nun showed us around the temple. It was huge and I felt like I was in Taiwan instead of California. Almost everyone spoke chinese or are chinese. The shops around were either korean or chinese.
In the afternoon proffessor lancaster, my dad's friend picked us up to go see Hollywood. There actually wasn't much to see. A lot of the studio's have moved out and other than that, we drove past the Hollywood sign, the stars on the sidewalk, and the houses at Bell Air and Beverly Hills. The houses weren't exceptionally huge because we didn't drive all the way in, but they looked beautiful. magical even. The trees were tall and shady, some houses had giant walls built so high you can't even see the house itself. And that was the end of the Hollywood tour. Pictures later! After that, we jammed our way back to Rosemead where we were staying for dinner. Back to the dry, brown grass and dusty roads. We ate at a chinese vegetarian restaurant. Like I said, a little confusing. It was a little like Taiwan and also like home. I got to eat my favorite sweet and sour pork (which is actually tofu). We came back to the university, and found the resident assistant and he helped us get online! Yay, internet! Went on there for a short while on the public computers and logged off after chatting with my mom. I am not a PC user at all. It took a while to figure out how to shut down. lol. Then went to bed. Or couch.
Just now proffessor lancaster took us for breakfast at the same place we ate at yesterday. I didn't order hot chocolate. I had a nice cup of sugar-less coffee and Strawberry Rhubard. Strawberries are huge and it was yummy. Couldn't finnish it, so now it's in a container next to me. Saving it for lunch :)
We're going to board in about half an hour. I think I wrote too much nonsense and didn't bother proof-reading, so thanks for reading it until the end and bearing with me! 

1 comment:

  1. Dont worry about writing too much. Just write on! Just a note: Finnish is a person from Finland :) Finish is to end ;) I enjoyed your story!